I grew up in Lansing, Michigan. And for those of you who know anything about the Midwest— I’m sure you can vouch for Pillsbury, ranch and Mayonnaise serving as dietary staples.
There’s a legitimate reason Michiganders are BIG on comfort food— Michigan is cold nearly half the year. And cold wet weather makes you want to curl up and stuff your face till you’re fat and happy.
Now that I’m living in the tropics, my appetite for comfort food has dissipated, but unfortunately, I’ve still got a serious weakness for Hellmanns. Gross! I know. I’m well aware of all the trans fat and artificial nonsense that’s going on in that jar. Yet on occasion, you’ll still catch me getting down on it— embarassssssinnnng!
I’ve tried healthy mayos on the market— hoping that I’d fall head-over-heels— but there’s just something a little off about avocado mayo.
If you’re feelin’ me on this one, your best bet is to do it yourself.
This homemade mayonnaise comes courtesy of Maria Emmerich of MariaMindBodyHealth.com. This recipe has excellent flavor, but I’m gonna warn you, it’s easy to screw up. First things first, you’ll need an immersion blender. I’ve tried this recipe in the ninja and the consistency is all wrong. Second, BE PATIENT. I’ve also screwed up this recipe by rushing the process. Follow the directions below and you’ll be fine.
Healthy Homemade Mayonnaise
Yield: 1.5 cups // Serving Size: 1 Tbsp // Prep time: 1 min
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup MCT oil or other neutral flavored oil, such as: macadamia nut, light olive or avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Place ingredients in order listed in a wide-mouth mason jar.
- Place immersion blender at the bottom of the jar and turn on.
- Once mayo begins to form at the bottom of the jar, slowly move blender towards the top. This is when you need to be patient— moving the blender slowly is the key to getting the mayonnaise to emulsify. It should take you about a minute to reach the top.
- Store in airtight container (saves 5-7 days).
Option to add roasted garlic for a delicious garlic aioli, or fresh herbs and spices for a basil or chipotle aioli.
Whether you’re well-versed or brand spankin’ new to keto life and looking for some help, you should check out Katie’s coaching program. Coach Katie lives keto all day, errryday. She keeps up to date on the latest science, so you don’t have to. But more importantly, she addresses your specific goals to help you achieve ultimate success on your keto journey. And it’s always better to have someone in your corner, guiding you along. So if you’re ready for total life transformation and ultimate keto success, schedule your FREE initial keto consultation today!