What would your death row meal be?
Honestly, mine’s a toss-up between Japanese Omakase and a New York-style bagel stacked with fresh lox, cream cheese, and capers. 🤤
Clocking in at 40 grams of carbs, I assumed bagels were an all-out no-go on the ketogenic diet— until now! How is it possible that these Fathead Bagels are just 1g of net carb each!
These low-carb, Fathead Bagels are unbelievable! They’re nice and crispy on the outside, warm and chewy on the inside. Plus, you don’t need any fancy equipment to make them. In fact, you might already have all the ingredients hanging out in your kitchen.
What is Fathead Dough?
Fathead dough is a gluten-free, keto-friendly alternative to traditional dough. It’s generally made with mozzarella, cream cheese, egg, and some type of low-carb flour.
In this case— considering cream cheese will be slathered on top, I’ve opted to spare you the calories by leaving the cream cheese out of the dough— you’re welcome!
Can You Substitute the Almond Flour?
Sure thing! Keto recipes often call for almond flour due to its low carb count. However, if you’re not a fan of almond flour (or if you happen to be allergic) there are a number of low-carb alternatives you could consider, such as:
- Chia seed flour (0g net carbs)
- Chickpea flour (16g net carbs)
- Coconut flour (4g net carbs)
- Cauliflower powder (14g net carbs)
- Hazelnut flour (2g net carbs)
- Tiger nut flour (11g net carbs)
- Walnut flour (1g net carb)
Keep in mind, using a different flour may alter the consistency and flavor of the bagel. For instance, I tried the same recipe with coconut flour (in place of almond flour). It worked, and the flavor was nice enough. However, the texture was dry and crumbly so I added an additional egg in order to soften the dough.
What Do You Like on Your Bagel?
If you prefer something sweet, you can always swap the Everything But The Bagel Seasoning for cinnamon sugar (just be sure to use a keto-friendly sweetener such as Swerve instead of actual cane sugar).
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.Print
These low-carb, Fathead Bagels are unbelievable! They’re nice and crispy on the outside, warm and chewy on the inside.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt mozzarella on the stovetop or in a microwave (about 60 seconds).
- In a separate bowl, add almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to melted cheese and mix together until fully combined (you may need to use your hands).
- Add egg to dough mixture and knead until fully incorporated (the dough should be one solid color).
- Sprinkle countertop with almond flour and knead the dough until smooth (continue kneading and adding flour if dough is still sticky).
- Cut into four equal parts. Roll (or stretch) into snake shape.
- Wrap into O-shape and pinch ends together. Smooth out edges and place formed dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush with butter.
- Sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on desired level of crispiness).
- Let rest 3 minutes before slicing.
- Add toppings and enjoy!
*If topping with cinnamon sugar rather than EBTB seasoning, use 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
*Option to swap EBTB seasoning with cinnamon sugar, just be sure to use a keto-friendly sweetener such as Swerve granular.
- Serving Size: 1 Bagel
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 10g
Keywords: Fathead, Everything, How to Make, Low-Carb, Gluten-free, Easy, Keto
Brand new to Keto?
If you’re brand new to keto and not sure where to begin I encourage you to check out my FREE Keto Kickstart Masterclass!
Whether you’re well-versed or brand spankin’ new to keto life and looking for some help, you should check out Katie’s coaching program. Coach Katie lives keto all day, errryday. She keeps up to date on the latest science, so you don’t have to. But more importantly, she addresses your specific goals to help you achieve ultimate success on your keto journey. And it’s always better to have someone in your corner, guiding you along. So if you’re ready for total life transformation and ultimate keto success, schedule your FREE initial keto consultation today!
This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Katie Rodriguez nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement or lifestyle program.