The secrets to FIRE pulled pork!
- 4 pounds pork butt
- 1 marrow bone, canoe cut (or 4 disks)
- 2 cups bone broth*
- 1/2 cup Twist’D Q Sweet Heat Rib Rub OR Homemade Dry Rub*
Homemade Dry Rub
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Once heated, place marrow bone(s) (bone side down) on sheet pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Cut pork butt into 12 chunks.
- In a large bowl, roll each piece of pork in seasoning— generously covering all sides. Set aside.
- Once marrow has finished cooking, scrape insides into cast iron pan (along with any remaining grease from the pan).
- Bring cast iron to high heat. Place each seasoned pork chunk in skillet and brown 1-2 minutes. Flip each chunk and repeat (browning the opposite side).
- Place the browned pork in the Instant Pot.
- Pour remaining skillet grease into the pot.
- Pour bone broth over top.
- Seal the lid, and be sure to flip to “sealing” position.
- Manually set to High Pressure and select “More.”
- Set for 80 minutes.
You certainly don’t need a cast iron skillet to brown the meat. However, I’d recommend investing in cast iron for a multitude of reasons.
The Twist’D Q seasoning is MONEY! What’s more, it will cut your prep time considerably. I found this at Publix grocery store. However, if you can’t find it locally (and aren’t up for ordering online), the homemade rub will work just as well.
I opted for Kettle & Fire Turmeric Ginger Bone Broth for the added anti-inflammatory benefits, but any bone broth will do. And if you’re really lookin’ to get after it, you’re welcome to make your own.
Option to omit the seasoning (simply season with salt and pepper) and call it Carnivore.
You have the option to brown the meat in butter, lard or bacon grease, but bone marrow is the optimal choice.
I’m not sure whether it matters if your Instant Pot trivet is in place while cooking the pork, but I always leave it in.
I own the 6-Quart Instant Pot DUO Series, and the 4lb pork booty fits perfectly.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Keto
- Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
- Calories: 1028
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 1000mg
- Fat: 76g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 86g
Keywords: Instant Pot, Pulled Pork, Carnivore Diet, Keto, Healthy