Broccoli + Bacon Skewers with Garlic Confit
Yield: 2 Skewers // Serving size: 1 Skewer // Prep time: 2 hours // Cook time: 20 min
This recipe comes courtesy of Fat for Fuel, Dr. Joseph Mercola’s latest cookbook. It’s delicious, but if you’re hung up on the prep time you can skip the confit and just add some fresh garlic instead.
- 12 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 head broccoli (cut into florets)
- 1 Tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 4 strips bacon, cut in half
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of whole lemon
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Himalayan sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Place garlic cloves and 1/2 cup coconut oil in small saucepan over very low heat (you don’t want the oil to boil or the cloves to burn).
- Cook for 2 hours (or until the garlic is soft).
Leftover garlic confit can be transferred to a glass jar with the oil and stored in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash broccoli and chop into florets
- In large bowl toss broccoli with 1 Tbsp coconut or avocado oil, salt and pepper.
- Wrap broccoli in bacon and carefully insert skewer to hold together.
- Place skewers on prepared tray in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes (until the broccoli is cooked through and the bacon is golden and crispy). Once broccoli is fully cooked, squeeze 1/2 lemon over skewers and set aside to cool.
- While broccoli is baking, prepare aioli.
- Place 3 garlic cloves (1 if substituting for fresh), egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice and a pinch of salt into food processor and process until combined.
- With motor running, slowly pour in olive oil and process until aioli is thick and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Let me know what you think in the comments below. 😘
Whether you’re well-versed or brand spankin’ new to keto life and looking for some help, you should check out Katie’s coaching program. Coach Katie lives keto all day, errryday. She keeps up to date on the latest science, so you don’t have to. But more importantly, she addresses your specific goals to help you achieve ultimate success on your keto journey. And it’s always better to have someone in your corner, guiding you along. So if you’re ready for total life transformation and ultimate keto success, schedule your FREE initial keto consultation today!