Gluten-free coconut banana pancakes
Yield: 6-8 cakes, depending on size
Sugar count: 21g ( 3g per cake)
- Low in carbs
- High in fiber
- High in healthy fats
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 egg whites
- 1 whole egg
- 1 large banana
- ⅔ cup of vanilla almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup (or stevia to taste)
- 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- Dash of cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Coconut oil for the pan
- Wild blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Coconut flour though healthy, is difficult media to work with. These pancakes are extremely delicate! They require patience and careful flipping. I also found it helpful to liberally grease the pan with coconut oil. Don’t worry if you ruin the integrity of the first few, they’ll still taste delicious. Finally, indulgence you can feel good about!
- Mix eggs, 1/2 banana, almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl or blend in Vitamix until smooth.
- Pour mix over dry ingredients (coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt).
- Stir until well combined.
- Grease a large skillet generously with coconut oil.
- Pour about ¼-1/2 cup of the pancake batter onto the skillet (on medium heat)- you can adjust this amount depending on how large/small you like your pancakes.
- Cook until the right side up develops small bubbles.
- Flip and finish cooking until both sides are golden brown and fluffy.
- Stuff 1/2 banana (sliced) between cakes, top with wild blueberries and drizzle with maple syrup.