We all have a friend that can crush 5 animal style burgers from In-N-Out Burger and not put on a pound. Whereas others of us pack it on within the first bite. Why is that? Aside from human variability of size and stature, this is a prime example of our metabolism at work.
Essentially, metabolism is the chemical process by which the body utilizes food in order to generate energy. Quantitative measurements of metabolism can be tricky due to variables such as age, gender, and activity level. At the end of the day, an official BMR reading serves as much purpose as the numerical value of your weight. More important than the number is how you feel in your skin.
Boosting metabolism is one of the easiest ways to lose weight or stay fit. Although age, gender and genetics all play a role in the efficiency of one’s metabolism, we ALL have the ability to boost its effectiveness through lifestyle adjustments.
10 Tips to a Speedier Metabolism
1. EAT BREAKFAST- Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism & sets the dietary tone of your day. Try to take time to enjoy breakfast daily!
2. HYDRATE- Upon waking up I generally consume 20 ounces of water. This is a good habit to get into. Aside from its therapeutic effect, drinking water in the morning serves to purify & restore the body’s homeostasis.
3. CONSUME YOUR OMEGAS- Omega 3’s are a crucial component of muscle repair. Omegas can be consumed directly through foods such as: fish, avocados and coconut oil, or through dietary supplements.
4. EAT WHEN YOU’RE HUNGRY- Listen to your body’s needs. Starving the body leads to hormonal imbalances and often results in a counterbalance binge-fest.
5. MOVE- By far the most obvious. Strength training as well as cardio exercises help boost metabolic efficiency.
6. NIX CRASH DIETS- Yo-yo-ing from one dietary theory to the next confuses the body instead of properly activating it.
7. GET COOKING- Build a relationship with your food! Understanding where your food comes from and how it was prepared is crucial to proper bodily response.
8. REDUCE STRESS- Overwhelming levels of stress fluctuate pH levels and slow metabolism.
9. TAKE IN SOME SUNSHINE- Vitamin D revs up metabolism.
10. GET YOUR ZZZZZZZ’S- Bodily functions perform optimally with adequate sleep.