10. Avoid foods with labels– if there is an ingredients list be sure there are 5 items or less, all of which you can pronounce.
9. Refrain from evil white powders– sugar, flour, white table salt, cocaine, heroin (all similar hormonal pathways generally resulting in overuse/consumption).
8. Nix high fructose corn syrup– studies have concluded that it punches holes in your gut causing inflammation or leaky gut syndrome.
7. Avoid inflammatory fats– meaning trans & saturated fats. These are generally derived from processed foods, and may be labeled as: partially hydrogenated oils, vegetable shortening, soybean, canola & palm oil.
6. Be weary of food additives– Additives are generally listed as numbers (E102- tartrazine), & can cause a variety of unpleasant symptoms such as: hyperactivity, asthma, rashes, gastric upset, allergies, etc.
5. Avoid artificial sweeteners– Products such as Equal, Splenda, Sweet N Low, & yes, even Stevia :/ have been suggested to trigger hormones associated with the promotion of hunger.
4. Assume Michael Pollen’s insight– “If it’s a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don’t”
3. Focus on quality over quantity– quality food yields greater satiety.
2. Do not eliminate any of the core macronutrients from your diet– Macronutrients are the body’s staples of dietary needs. These include: Carbohydrate, Protein, Fat. Instead of cutting out, focus on selecting the cleaner sources of each.
1. SLOW DOWN! Amidst the hustle bustle of our time plagued society, this can be the most challenging of all. Remember, digestion begins in the mouth. Allow the body to properly execute its initial phase of digestion.
Keep in mind this is list is far simpler than it appears. If you adhere to tip 10, you’re hitting the majority of the list by default.